Sun, 29 Oct|
Botanical / Medium printing Workshop
This workshop is designed for complete beginners or anyone who would like to learn eco printing / botanical printing. I learned eco printing reading India Flint book, attending workshops of Sheila Smith and Irit Dulman. The photo is the work of a student created during the workshop
Time & Location
29 Oct 2023, 09:30 – 17:00
Washington, Biddick Ln, Washington NE38 8AB, UK
About The Event
It is suitable for complete beginners.
This course is designed for complete beginners or anyone who would like to learn botanical printing and medium printing.
During this course you will learn various techniques, such as:
- fabric preparation for eco printing;
- introduction to plants for eco printing;
- eco printing (botanical printing) – using various techniques;
- eco printing (botanical printing)– printing large pieces of fabric; and
- eco printing (botanical printing)– printing on garments.
Introduction to materials, mordants and plans.
You then will be working fabric, cotton, silk and linen.
You will first be working with samples, to build up a reference of different techniques.
You will learn how to achieve sharp print and printing on large pieces of fabric.
You will be experimenting further with various eco printing techniques.
You will work in a small group, with a maximum of five students group.
By the end of the course students will have all the knowledge and skills needed to start eco printing at home. It is also the perfect time to experiment further with so many leaves and flowers around us.
The course includes:
Chemicals for printing;
Tools to be used during the course;
You will need to bring:
1. White fabric to print on: 1-2 m of silk, 1-2 m of cotton, t-shirt (optional), white habotai or ponge silk scarves (https://www.silkcraft.co.uk/ sells wthite blank scarves)
2. Old cotton sheets or muslin (2 meter). This is useful for blankets. I will supply some, but might not enough for everyone and it depends how many prints you would like to make.
4. latex gloves, apron.
5. Scissors, permanent marker, pad and pen, thin rope or strong string to tie the bundles. I will supply some ropes, but it might not enough for everyone, depending how many prints you want to make.
6. A selection of foliage (leaves and flowers). Suggestions include, but are not limited to: maple,
smoke bush (leaves and blooms), sumac, geranium, chestnut, catalpa, citric geranium, ferns,
prunes, strawberry, blackberry, peony leaves, rose leaves, chestnut leaves, oak, eucalyptus and
any other you might like to try. I will supply a PDF document before the workshop which lists leaves to be printed with.
Materials are available to buy on a day to work during the workshop. I sell Margilan Excelsior Silk suitable for printing. For workshops participants price to be reduced to £6.
Craft workshops - eco printing workshop - natural dye workshop, North East
Full Price - £85, Deposit £35
Please pay a deposit of £35 while booking. The balance is payable two weeks before the workshop.£35.00