Fine Wet Felted Hat Workshop
Time & Location
About The Event
This workshop is not suitable for a complete beginner.
You will learn how to create a soft well draped, beautiful and high-quality felted hat, create a smooth and textured decor with the help of fibres, yarns, nepps and even finished felt. How to calculate coefficient of shrinkage and build a hat pattern to create seamless well fitted hat.
You will learn non traditional felting technique called fibre lamination which is very popular amongst Eastern European feltmakers. It allows to create a soft, light, well draped, easy to stretch felt which also keeps shape well and as a result is widely used in making of felted clothes. The technique of fiber lamination makes it possible to create two-sided hat being able to style the hat created in various styles.
- merino wool;
- various silk off cuts;
- various silk and viscose fiber;
- knitting yarns;
- felt off cuts
- all felting tools;
- light refreshment
What to Bring:
I will provide light refreshment and main materials necessary to create a hat. You will need to bring the following materials if you have. However, please do not worry I will have majority of materials.
- 2 hand-size towels; and light lunch;
- sharp scissors;
- measuring tape;
- notepad and pen;
- packed lunch.
- little bit of silk, bamboo or any fibre you usually use for your feltmaking projects;
- any wool yarns, recycled sari or wool contain yarns;
- some scraps of felt, this could be past rejected project;
- few scraps of heavy silk, like habotai;
- wool nepps;
- resist, 1m x1m - laminate floor insulation;
- non rust sewing pins - optional for shibori;
We will be using sander just for 5 minutes to speed up the felting process. If you have a sander for felting, then it would be great if you brought with you. This technique involves not just wool but also other fibres which is much easier to felt with the little bit of help from sander. If you prefer not to use sander, then I will show techniques to avoid it.
Craft workshops - feltmaking workshops - wet felt workshop - felted hats workshop, North East.
- Felted hat workshop £75£75£750£0